Posted by Simple Girl on 18th Jan 2019
A bad mood can color your whole day a dismal gray, and it can rub off on your partner, your kids, and your co-workers. Nobody wants to be Debbie Downer, but is it even possible to snap yourself out of a bad mood once you're mired? Happily, the answer is yes. Next time you're shooting daggers or down in the dumps, try one or more of these five proven mood lifters, and enjoy a happier, more optimistic day.
- Go for a walk. A little exercise can do wonders for your state of mind. According to Harvard Medical School, regular exercise is as effective as medication for relieving depression in some people. Exercise also reduces blood levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which can contribute to a sour mood.
- Express gratitude. There's nothing like a bit of gratitude to snap you out of a negative mindset. There you are, late for work because you ran out of gas, and it's pouring rain. Nothing is going right, and you're frustrated and angry. Who wouldn't be on the verge of losing it? But then you think about what you're grateful for: That you even have a job and a car. That you have a cell phone to call for help, and someone to call. When you think of it that way, you're pretty dang lucky, aren't you?
- Meditate. Meditation is becoming increasingly mainstream because of its excellent benefits. Meditation actually changes the physical structures in your brain, increasing the thickness of the area responsible for emotional regulation, learning, and memory and reducing the thickness of the region responsible for feelings of fear and anger. These changes begin to occur with just a couple of months of daily practice. Meanwhile, meditation reduces stress on the spot, and it leaves you feeling calmer and on a more even keel afterwards.
- Talk it out. Sometimes, you just want to throw yourself a pity party, and that's all well and good — it can be lovely to wallow in misery for a while. But when it's time to pull yourself out of it and get on with life, talking to your BFF can help you resolve issues and gain perspective. Make that phone call, or meet up for coffee, and by the time the conversation's over, you'll likely be feeling more like yourself.
- Watch funny cat videos. Or, if cats aren't your thing, anything funny will do. The simple act of smiling and laughing — even if they're fake — activates neuropeptides that fight stress, and they produce a release of dopamine and serotonin that improve your mood, according to an article published in the journal Psychological Reports. Make a point of smiling and laughing whenever you feel blue — as long as it's appropriate, of course — and chances are, your mood will improve, even if just a little bit.
It's true that you can exercise a considerable amount of control over your moods. With a little work and a lot of mindfulness, you can often turn negative feelings around and see a more positive side of things. But if you have a sad mood that persists, be sure to see your doctor. Depression is a real and serious — but highly treatable — illness, and cuddly cats probably won't cut it.
Spicy food does more than set your tongue ablaze. Putting the heat in what you eat has a number of health benefits, thanks to capsaicin, the compound in peppers responsible for the inferno. Capsaicin can temporarily boost your metabolism by up to 8 percent, increasing your post-spice calorie burn. It may also help lower bad cholesterol, and according to one [...]
Meditation has been around a long, long time, mentioned in ancient texts dating back as far as 1500 BC in India. Although it began as a religious practice, meditation has since departed from strictly prayer and become a modern tool for greater wellness. With recent advances in medical imaging of brain activity, we now have plenty of scientific evidence [...]
You would think that you wouldn't have to worry about gluten in your herbs, spices, and seasonings, but if you suffer from celiac disease, the reality is that have to worry about gluten in nearly everything, just to be safe.Although herbs, spices, and seasonings don't typically naturally contain gluten, some of the additives may. These include fillers like wheat flour [...]
If cooking is an art, then herbs are the paint, turning a plain bowl of noodles or a boring old chicken into a study in color and flavor. While dried herbs are just fine and, in fact, necessary at times, there is nothing like a sprig of fresh rosemary or strips of fresh-cut basil to add flavor to a [...]
Salads have long been the go-to meal for someone on a diet and they're common fare for dieters eating out for lunch. But you may be horrified to learn that what you thought were healthy choices on the menu are actually packed to the gills with fat and calories.Take, for example, the Southwest Crispy Chicken Salad from McDonald's. Sounds healthy, [...]
It's no secret that most people don't get outside enough. What many of us may not know is how detrimental this is to our health. Human beings were built to go outdoors on a daily basis.Making time each day to go outside and breathe fresh air is good for your body, mind, and spirit. If you need a little incentive [...]
Simple Girl's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar is the newest addition to our popular line of products. Many of our customers swear by apple cider vinegar and its numerous uses. While the ACV you buy in the grocery store is generally filtered and pasteurized, our organic version contains "the mother," which means that the beneficial bacteria hasn't been filtered out and pasteurized [...]
Everyone knows they should sit less. It's been all over the news and has even been reported by The New York Times that sitting too much makes us age faster. But who has the time to move constantly? You do. Here are 17 ways you can move more starting right now. Stand Up When Reading Your Phone. Even if you're [...]
A restricted diet can really take a toll on your mood if you feel deprived of flavorful food. We all know that sauces usually add a lot of added sugar and calories to our diet, but life without sauces is a dull life indeed. That's why Simple Girl offers sauces and dressings are not only bursting with flavor but [...]